Cyanoacrylate is the main ingredient in lash adhesive and also the reason for most reactions.  For this reason, lash adhesive should never touch the skin.  Testing on the skin is an old school method for patch testing and is not a clear indicator for showing if a reaction will occur or not.  That being said, applying a few lashes also does not give a clear indication of whether or not a reaction will occur.  This is because of 2 reasons.

1.  A patch test does not give full exposure in the same way a full set will.

2. Lash adhesive allergies are cumulative (they build up over time).

It is more likely for allergies, sensitivities and reactions to occur in clients that have been having lashes for 6 months or more than in first timers!

Testing for allergies

As stated above, either method of patch testing will not give enough exposure in the same way as doing a full set.  This means that a small patch test will not accurately test for allergies and a reaction could still occur even if the patch test results are fine.

Most reactions happen in clients who have been exposed to lash adhesive for some time. It is unlikely that clients will already have an allergy to Cyanoacrylate if they have not been exposed to it before.  NOTE:  Nail glue and superglue are Cyanoacrylate based.

Cyanoacrylate allergy

If someone is allergic to cyanoacrylate, unfortunately, they won't be able to have lash extensions done.

LVL Lash Lift & Tint

Patch testing is required for this treatment and needs to be done at least 24 hours before the actual treatment.



©2018 by LashTech London